By Stevie Wilson
During the late fall and winter, you often want to tweak your cosmetic look because the seasons have changed and the “look” is different. As you face a season of parties and events, you want to have a look that’s glam enough for night. Just for Beauty News LA readers, Kevyn Aucoin Beauty has created this fabulous evening look. Read on for a face chart, and some fabulous products and application tips!
1. Start off with a clean face and prep skin with a moisturizer or primer to create a smooth canvas. Apply concealer as needed: Sensual Skin Enhancer ($42) is a good choice. For a velvet finish, Dew Drop Powder Foundation ($54) is a lightweight, user-friendly, adjustable coverage powder foundation. And for those with dry skin, or those who want a creamy foundation, try Sue Devitt’s Triple C-weed Whipped Foundation ($40) for sheer coverage, complete with “good for your skin” antioxidants.
2. Pure Powder Glow ($37) in Shadore, a soft ethereal pink, is the perfect blush for that radiant complexion. The highly pigmented powder is silky and lasts all night. For a more vibrant glow, apply more layers of color. Dust from cheeks to temples and blend well. For a golden, peachy hue, brush on Sue Devitt Studio’s Silky Blush ($20) in Los Angeles. It goes on sheer for that sunkissed glow.
3. For the eyes, groom brows and set with a brow gel: Benefit’s Speedbrow ($18) is a great choice. Need a brow clean-up? Head over to Macy’s South Coast Plaza for a brow grooming at the Benefit Brow Bar. For a sophisticated look, Aucoin Essential Eyeshadow Set #2 ($55) is a great choice. Use Cream as a wash from lash to brow. Apply White shadow on the inner corner to open up the eye. Press Mocha onto the lid, and then blend. Brush Slate in the crease from the outer half of the eye, blending color up and out to the brow bone.
4. Chantecaille’s Le Bijoux Palette ($68) of five fashion-forward jewel toned (Obsidian, Amertine, Azurite, Smokey Topaz, and Fool’s Gold) shadows offers similar options with a bit more dazzling color to be used wet or dry. For a more dazzling effect, line eyes with a narrow pointy brush with a moistened bit of the Aucoin Essential Eye Shadow Set #2′s Black shadow and dot into the lash line to make lashes look thicker. If you aren’t handy with a brush, try Bobbi Brown’s Shimmer Gel Liner ($18) in Sapphire Shimmer Ink, Ivy Shimmer Ink, Chocolate Shimmer, or Graphite Simmer Ink depending on eye color. Use Bobbi’s brush for easy application and dot into lashes and smudge.
5. Curl lashes with Mally Roncal’s “Get the Last Lash” Lash Curler ($19.50). Top with 2-3 coats of Aucoin’s Volume Mascara ($25) in Black, making sure to comb between coats to prevent clumping. Or, if you want a defining mascara, Scott Barnes Lash Varnish ($20) offers a “demure” look of defined, darkened lashes that doesn’t budge or smudge, and it holds curled lashes perfectly!
6. Line and fill lips with lip pencil: use a neutral color, like MAC Spice ($12), or a slightly rosy shade like Julie Hewett’s Hue 004 Lip Pencil ($12).
7. Dust the face (and lips) with Gossamer Loose Powder ($62) in Diaphanous, a super-fine powder with a special applicator that will set the face so that the make-up doesn’t budge all night.
8. Color lips with Kevyn Aucoin’s Expert Lip Tint ($22) in Bloodroses, a luscious deep red. If you want a true red, try Julie Hewett’s Rouge Noir ($21) lip color. Or if you prefer a sheer lip color, pick one of Chantecaille’s Lip Moderns ($24), a soft matte stain-like texture in three luscious red to berry tones. Top lips with Aucoin’s Liquid Cyber Lip ($25) in Alurabliss to create a lush full glossy lip.
Where to find products:
Kevyn Aucoin Beauty: www.kevynaucoin.com, Neiman Marcus.
Julie Hewett: www.juliehewett.net.
Mally Beauty: QVC.
Bobbi Brown: www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales
Benefit: www.benefitcosmetics.com, Sephora, Nordstrom, Macys
Scott Barnes: Saks Fifth Avenue Beverly Hills, QVC, www.Scottbarnes.com.
Chantecaille: Neiman Marcus.
MAC Cosmetics: www.maccosmetics.com, Mac Pro Store, Nordstrom.